Sunday, November 1, 2015

Fall ramblings

I'm pretty sure I should have been a fall baby. I love this season. I love everything about it - the sights, the colors, the sound of whistles on a football field, the cooler temps, the smell of leaves burning, even the evenings that begin before supper time.



This year, as my physical limitations have kept me pretty grounded to home, I'm learning to become content with my own company. We did a lot of home renovation the last couple months, so I've been enjoying the new digs. It's amazing to me what a little color change and new energy can do to a space.

As I've been spending more time by myself, I've opened my mind and interests a little, exploring meditation and various pagan traditions. I have friends and family who dabble in alternative faiths and it has fascinated me to learn more about other people's practices and rituals. (Before anybody freaks out: no, I'm not worshiping Satan or praying to toast with the shadow of the Virgin Mary burned into it. Relax.) I've just been paying more attention to the elements around me - the moon, the tides, the stars and nature, in general. I've been paying homage to family and my ancestry as well. In doing this, I'm also trying to remove some of the clutter from my life - physically, spiritually, and emotionally. It's been wonderfully freeing for me.

While I do still have a ways to go with my Lyme treatment and subsequent testing for co-infections, I'm finding a lot of peace in letting go of the things that don't matter in the long run. I shredded stacks of old files, papers and notes I no longer needed. I've purged a lot of clothing, personal care products I admitted I'd been hoarding, and many other things that have been gumming up my life. 

I'm finding ways to bring calm and peace to a life that is anything but calm and peaceful. I'm learning that a lot of it has to do with choices. I can choose to be chaotic or I can choose to let things go. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes, you need to be involved and it can create chaos until all the parts fall into place, but I'm trying to do better about choosing peace.

As we head into the holiday season, I wish you peace and lots of wonderful memories with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment