Friday, July 5, 2013

Thirty-nine


In an hour, I turn thirty-nine. That's a lot of cakes, birthday candles and parties since this first birthday in 1975. I still love cakes. And birthday parties. And presents. But I don't get too many of those these days and that's all right, I guess.

Mom always made the biggest deal about birthdays. She threw me a party every year. Many of you may remember the slumber party I had in 1982. 



And 1983.

 

And 1984.


My mother was a brave soul, lemme tell you. After my 8th birthday, she swore she'd never throw another slumber party with that many kids again and she stayed true to her word.  


I did have a 50's theme birthday one year and a swimming party the next. Mom was always good about making me feel special on my birthday. I miss that. I'm sorry to say I don't make big deals out of my kids' birthdays. We'll have parties every once in a while, but for the most part, a special dinner and cake is about all we do.

The thing is, for as great as all those birthdays were, it's the every day I cherish the most. It's laughing at the goofiness my kids come up with. It's crying over their sentimentality. It's enjoying their stories and company. It's having all the kids meet up with us at Buffalo Wild Wings and having a good time. It's listening to them interacting when they think I'm not paying attention. It's not about the birthday candles or the cake or the presents. 

Scratch that. It's TOTALLY about the cake, too - ice cream cake from DQ, thankyouverymuch.

But mostly, it's about enjoying the company of my family.

And I gotta say, 39 is looking pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment