Saturday, June 25, 2011

Live and Let Live

Let me make this disclaimer before I even start on what I want to say – this blog is not being written to spark some religious debate (simply put, you won’t change my mind with biblical verses any more than I’ll change yours, so save your breath). I’m merely voicing my views and as long as my views are respected, then I will be respectful of others’ views. Capisce?



Last night the state of New York legalized gay marriage and I couldn’t be happier. I have friends, some of whom live in New York, who will be affected by this monumental decision. I share in their joy.

While I am frequently irritated by little things, traits, qualities and behaviors of others, long story short, I’m a firm believer in “live and let live.” I have my own religious beliefs and some of those mesh with stricter and more traditional religions. Other things I believe fall to the more contemporary religions. But first and foremost, I am a lover. I love freely and openly and I don’t care who knows it. If you’ve had any kind of impact on my life, chances are, I’ve said “I love you” at one time or another.  And I’ve meant it.

And that’s okay. Because I’m a woman who married a man. I’m “safe.” I can tell other women I love them because it’s not a sexual thing. It’s a friend thing. It’s a support thing. It’s a bonding thing. Right?

But what if I wasn’t married to a man? What if, for instance, I was married to a woman? Would my love for my spouse be any less real? Would my commitment to her be any less valid? Should I be treated differently because I share my life with a woman instead of a man?

The answer to that is, “no.”

Bottom line is, we are all, first and foremost, human beings. We all have the right to love and be loved. I am raising my children to believe that above anything else, who they love is not as important as much as being loving to all. Our love is meant to be given freely without condemnation and retribution.

It saddens me to know that some of my friends (and family) can’t be married to the people they love simply because they live in the wrong state – that their lives are ridiculed and speculated about simply because of their sexuality.

What if your life was put under scrutiny? Would you want people to know what goes on in your home? In your bed? Would it be anyone’s business? Of course not, so why is it your business what goes on in someone else’s?

This isn’t about “right” or “wrong.” It’s about equality. Equal rights for all people, straight, gay or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment