Friday, August 13, 2010

It's ironic, really

While I've gone on record about not liking children, I seem to be surrounded with amazing kids. Mouth's friend, Mooch is here a LOT. He's a great kid. Midget's friend, T-Dawg is here all the time, too (I'll get to that more in a minute). @DonniesDancer's kids are a light in my life, too. Their talents and kindness are inspiring. The neighbor kids stop by frequently and while they sometimes get under my skin, they feel comfortable enough here to continue coming by. A couple weeks ago, I had a sitting with a huge family. They had six kids under the age of 4. Hubs said he was always impressed with how well I handle small children during sittings. 

I get along well with kids. It's ironic, really.

As some of you might know, T-Dawg has been a constant presence at our house this summer. From the time I get out of bed in the morning until the street lights come on at night, he's here, typically eating most of his meals here. I joked that if he didn't start eating at home that I was going to send his dad a bill for child support. He's gotten a bit annoying at times with his frequent visits and it's gotten to the point that I had to set some ground rules and time frames so that our own family could function well.

Sadly, it's come to my attention that his home life is less than pleasant. His dad is a good guy, but he works a lot and the woman I'll refer to from hereforth as StepMonster is not a good person and she and her heathen offspring (aka StepVermin) make T-Dawg's life a living hell. The StepVermin constantly push his buttons and get in fights with him. They steal his food, his toys, his video games. They blame him for things that happen that aren't his fault. And of course, the StepMonster sides with her cherubic demon spawn and T-Dawg pays the price. (For example, he showed up this morning at 6:30 a.m. with his school bag full of supplies so the StepVermin won't steal it from him.)

In talking with T-Dawg's dad last night and seeing how miserable things are at home for the kid, it's become apparent that I have become the proud parent (from 6:30 a.m. until 8:30 pm) of a 13 yr old bouncing baby boy. He's a darling child, really...a bit rough around the edges, but for whatever reason, God thinks I'm good for this kid and He's brought him to me. So, I...the self-proclaimed "Mr. Wilson" (of Dennis the Menace fame), have become a refuge for this lost little man. 

I think I'm going to need more vodka.

**Addendum**
I found out that T-Dawg's dad and StepMonster are filing for divorce for his days in misery are numbered. I'm very pleased by his father's decision to leave this woman (or rather kick her out) and I think T-Dawg will benefit from it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment