Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2018 Intentions

I saw something the other day that really resonated with me. It said that making New Year's resolutions is focusing in the past - changing things that didn't go right or weren't the best outcome. Instead of that, it said you should make New Year's Intentions. That's kind of a brilliant way to head into the new year with a positive attitude. So I've been rolling things over in my head and have come up with a small list as I head into the new year.

1. To be more present in my interactions. For example, more comments and fewer "likes". I have a tendency to respond with a LIKE or a click on the ♥ button. But seriously, how much extra work is it to say "That's great! Congratulations" instead of clicking a thumbs up? I want to become less passive and more passionate. It begins now.

2. More hands-on and less of what's on the screen. Electronics are necessary and I enjoy using them for fun, as well. But as I learned last month, doing crafty things are a lot of fun and I miss doing them. Scrapbooking, ceramics, painting, crocheting, gardening, maybe even learn to play piano. Who knows what I can do if I put my phone down long enough.

3. Volunteer work. The last few years, Nate has been really involved with volunteering for local charities and organizations. Now, I'm not foolish enough to think I'm suddenly going to start coordinating some big town function. That's not my style, nor do I have the energy for something like that. But I can take on smaller tasks. I'm not sure what I will become involved with, but it's definitely on my list for this year.

4. Writing. Every day. An author friend of mine wrote twenty-four books last year. My mind is blown. I haven't published a new book since 2016. I have a thousand ideas in my head, but I can't get them outlined on paper. I don't know if it's a true writer's block or if I'm just too much in my head sometimes, but for whatever reason, I haven't been writing. That will be changing. It may be a blog. It could be a book. It might be a love letter to my husband. But I will be writing more in 2018.

5. Spending more time with the people who matter and less with those who don't. I began doing this last year - cutting out ulcers from my life and focusing on the healthy people in my life. Crashing a car hurts like hell, but lingering in the wreckage is even worse. Getting away from flammable relationships is vital to survival. I will continue this in 2018.

Five intentions is probably a good number to start with, for now. As I adjust to the changes, I may add more or change things around a little, but for now, it's time to focus on these.

I encourage you to think about your intentions for 2018. What qualities and behaviors do you want to adopt this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment